Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mrs Rink A Dink

As of This morning (Friday) we have four lovely moms past their due dates; two moms due within the next five days, and two moms within the safe zone both of which are trying to deliver early. Other than that, not much is going on. ;o)
I Will start this out with momma A, Mrs. Rink a Dink; Gravid 6, para 5. First baby a C-Section due to failure to progress and more importantly BC (Before Christ). Second pregnancy 13 years later, and AC  (after Christ) and a successful VBAC. Nineteen months later another boy was born into this family, her first home birth.  Mom was so thrilled with her first un-medicated totally natural birth. Then 19 months later another boy born at home, 19 months later another  baby boy born at home, a then with a 30  month break mom calls with her 6th pregnancy, "I need your services again". This call came while her first born son and daughter in law were expecting their first baby. You might remember them, Mrs. Dancer.
 Mom and Dad are hoping for a little girl to add some femininity to their family but really they’re okay with whatever the Lord gives them.  Mrs. Dink has had two nights of laboring with little progress. UGGH! This morning dad called saying mom is getting tired and wants to get something going. When I arrived at the Birth Inn, mom seemed in pretty good spirits, but definitely wanting this over. After prayer and discussion of options we decided to do a "no-no" in my book and break her water. Its important to give parents the information and let them make the decision. 
This was already a strange birth that we had going on here.
Usually when a baby is in the posterior position (which this baby was at times), contractions decrease and sometimes even stop; however, with this grand-multip, contractions picked up while the baby was in a posterior position and when mom is lying down. But, when the baby turned anterior, (a more favorable position) the contractions stopped... WEIRD! Complete opposite of what you normally might have going on.
As it turns out, this mom labored for several more hours without any progress. Needless to say she was exhausted after several attempts to turn the baby and hours passing.  The decision was made to transfer mom in for an epidural. She was nervous about going to the hospital and having unnecessary interventions. However, she wanted relief, I assured her that  Dr. J was available to meet us at the hospital  and that alleviated her fears. The staff at the hospital was very nice and ready and willing to help. They made every effort to speedily get the epidural going which gave mom the relief she needed. Within one hour, and after Dr. Jensen manually dilated her the mom delivered another boy. Oh Well maybe next time... We Praise God for giving us a wonderful doctor to work with and help us out  when we need to transfer.
In the meantime, we are getting calls from other moms with contractions, Bloody show and feelings of desperation to get their babies delivered.
This is a huge spiritual battle for me. I want to help moms, you know, be there for them, minister to them. We've gone through the pregnancy together getting to know one another and looking forward to the time of the birth. We pray for our moms on a regular basis, we invest time and energy and lots of emotions anticipating the grand  event, and now, it seems that things are piling up and only by the grace of God will I have the time to focus on one family at a time. We are all trusting in the Lord for his perfect timing for each family. Stay tuned for Mrs. Singing mom.


  1. sending up prayers <3
    Hope you were able to get some babies born AND some rest over the weekend. (((hugs)))

  2. So I'm taking it that when babies are born at the Birth Inn, there is some kind of backup that they can go to the hospital if they need to? Do they fill out paperwork or register there so the hospital knows they may be needed in case of emergency?

    Sorry; I'm kind of new to this but trying to figure out what's available in this area. :)